Above: Mise en Place for recipe. All images taken with an iPhone 5
Cream of Wheat is one of those things that I’ve been eating since childhood. Recently during some experimentation (craving for chocolate) I wondered what would happen if I added semi-sweet chocolate chips to Cream of Wheat. Well I’m happy to say it was surprisingly tasty and i’m pleased to share the recipe with you.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- This recipe uses cows milk but you can easily substitute almond/soy milk or even water if you are lactose intolerant.
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup Cream of Wheat
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- I a medium saucepan bring the milk to a slow rolling boil
- Add salt, sugar and nutmeg and stir
- Add Cream of Wheat and cook till it thick (you should constantly stir while cooking)
- Immediately before serving gently stir in chocolate chips (be careful not to stir to vigorously or they will spread through the mixture and turn it brown instead of having a nice chocolate swirl)
- Serve immediately
You can top you Chocolate Cream of Wheat with granola or a selection of nuts for a tasty nutritious breakfast.