Above: Mise en Place for recipe. All images taken with an iPhone 5
Chicken Salad is a perennial favorite for sandwiches or to go alongside a salad. This is a good dish that may be prepared ahead of time and is the ideal summer lunch as it is cool yet crisp with spices and vegetables. Please let me know how you like my recipe for the dish in the comments below.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Ready In: 4 hours
- 4 lbs of Chicken
- 2 Medium Onions sliced
- 2 Tablespoon of minced Garlic
- 2 and 1/2 Teaspoons of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Coriander seeds
- A few sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 8 ozs of Celery
- 1 and 1/3 cups of mayonnaise
- Wash your chicken and place it one side while you prepare your spices for the dish.
- Place all the spices in a pot, place the chicken in the pot and then cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer and leave to simmer.
- After 60 minutes, turn off the stove and let the chicken sit in the water until it cools
- Remove chicken and the sliced onions and remove the bones from the chicken, cut it into small pieces against the grain of the meat and place in a large bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid (to reduce the amount of mayonnaise needed).
- Add sliced celery, and mayonnaise, and 3 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper and mix well.
- Chill and then serve.
You can serve the chicken salad in toasted bread as a sandwich garnished with lettuce, tomato and cheese or you can serve it alongside a salad for a tasty meal. For a twist you can add 2 teaspoons of curry powder to the chicken salad and then mix in well for a lightly curried Chicken Salad or you can add a tangy twist by adding a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar.